18-Sep-2017Now Hiring: Network Engineer
BARC Connects is a customer-focused Internet, voice, and video service provider based in Lexington, VA. We are building a world-class fiber network and have an immediate need for an experienced Network Engineer to join our growing team. BARC Connects is owned by BARC Electric Cooperative, a not-for-profit electric cooperative whose sole mission is to improve the quality of life in the community it serves. The ideal candidate will have experience working in a service provider environment supporting data, voice & video services. We are looking for a seasoned and well-rounded individual that has years of experience with Cisco and Juniper router, switch and firewall technology and has an advanced understanding of layer 2 & 3 network protocols.
The Network Engineer will be asked to:
1. Provide senior level support to the BARC Connects WAN and all services provided over the network;
2. Open trouble tickets with circuit providers and hardware vendors as necessary to resolve circuit or hardware failures;
3. Work alongside service installation team to provision data, voice and video services for residential and commercial service installations;
4. Assist the Sales Director and General Manager preparing BOM’s and cost estimates for commercial customer service proposals;
5. Work alongside service installation team to perform onsite service installations at commercial customer properties;
6. Provide assistance to call center as necessary to resolve “Tier 2 and 3” commercial and residential customer reported technical issues;
7. Provide monitoring/configuration support on Linux & Windows based DNS, DHCP, CMS and speed test servers in the BARC Connects data center;
8. Work with the General Manager to provide technical recommendations for future network growth and improvements;
9. Produce and keep current network support documentation;
10. Participate in 24x7 on-call rotation.
• Minimum associate degree required. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
• Minimum of 5 years hands on experience with Cisco and Juniper router, switches and firewalls
• Demonstrated knowledge of routing & switching protocols such as BGP, OSPF, VRRP, spanning tree, etherchannel and 802.1q
• Previous experience supporting and implementing wireless and VOIP technologies
• Demonstrated knowledge of firewall technology supporting site-to-site and remote client VPN, access lists and network address translation
• Experience supporting Windows Server 2012 DNS/DHCP services as well as familiarity with CentOS.
• Previous experience GPON and active ethernet fiber access technology preferred
• Previous experience working with Solarwinds NCM/NPM/Netflow preferred
• Must be in good physical condition
• Must be able to pass pre-employment screening that includes background and drug testing
• Must possess valid driver’s license
• Must have a demonstrated history of operating company vehicles safely
• May be required to work long and unpredictable hours, including work after normal business hours in the event of a network outage
• Position requires participating in an on-call rotation providing after hours support as needed
• Good interpersonal skills as this position will regularly interface with both residential and commercial customers for new install and problem resolution
Qualified applicants: Please submit a cover letter and resume to Cindy Andrews, Human Resources Specialist at BARC Electric Cooperative (email@example.com) no later than October 31, 2017.